We know you already do laundry more than you really want to, but what if hard water is making your clothes dingier and rougher? Here are some of the many cons of hard water and how a water softener can make your laundry days (and life in general) easier.
Hard water takes a toll on your appliances…
Hard water comes right out of the ground and contains minerals like calcium and magnesium. These chemicals like to clog and corrode pipes and appliances, especially your washing machine (which can use up to 27 gallons of water per load, depending on the model you have). Because your washing machine uses hot water, that places it more at risk for hard water damage or even machine failure, since heat makes the clogging, corroding, and scale deposit buildup even worse.
As if this appliance damage wasn’t bad enough, hard water has another trick up its sleeve: aging your clothes and making them appear dirty even after you’ve washed them. This is because detergent doesn’t work as well as it should with hard water’s high mineral content (the minerals “overpower” the detergent). Thus, your clothes come out of the wash harder and scratchier than before, with gray stains and mineral grits to boot. Yuck!
…and even your day-to-day life.
Unfortunately, hard water damages more than just your washing machine and clothes. Other hot-water appliances like your dishwasher are at risk, as are the dishes and glasses that’ll become spotty and cloudy even after a wash cycle. Hard water also leaves rust stains in tubs and showers and dries out your skin and hair. It can even raise your water heating bill.
So how can a water softener help?
We’re glad you asked! Water softeners can treat–and even prevent–the damage that hard water has done to your appliances, laundry, and everyday life. The benefits of water softeners include:
- Removal of calcium and magnesium inside pipes and appliances like your washing machine
- Replacement of those hard minerals with softer minerals like sodium or potassium, which are much easier on pipes, appliances, and clothes
- Reduced clogs, corrosion, and buildup in your washing machine
- Extended life of your appliances (now they’ll last up to 15 years!)
- No spots on clean dishes and glasses
- No rust stains in tubs and showers
- Healthier, softer skin and hair
- Water that is drinkable straight from the tap–and that tastes good, too!
Hard water is, well, hard on you and your family, but you don’t have to admit defeat (we know that’s not your style). Call Brenneco today to ask about our water softeners and set up an appointment for us to install one for you!