In the United States, we’re blessed to have access to billions of gallons of safe, clean water. Most of us turn on the faucet, fill a glass, and take a sip without worrying about the possibility of contaminants or if our water might harm our health. But, do you know why we have access to clean drinking water or what could happen if we suddenly didn’t?
What hides in water?
- Microbes: Microbes are bacteria, viruses, and parasites. Microbes like to live in lakes, rivers, and other bodies of water, and if ingested, microbes can cause serious illness.
- Inorganic chemicals: Factories, pipes, agricultural runoff, and other man-made products can cause pollutants to make their way into water. Ingesting inorganic compounds can cause neurological issues and be harmful for infants.
- Organic chemicals: Most water pollutants fall into this category. Organic chemicals are synthetic chemicals and have been linked to kidney failure, cataracts, cancer, and other health issues.
- Radiation: High amounts of radiation are rarely found in water, but a high radiation concentration can lead to cancer.
- Disinfectants and byproducts: Chlorine, bromate, chlorite, and haloacetic acids are often added to water to get rid of microbes and other dangers in water, but if the concentration of disinfectants and byproducts is too high, these disinfectants and their byproducts may do more harm than good.
Thankfully, the Clean Water Act was passed in 1972 to deal with these issues. Public water suppliers are required to treat their water, test their water, and mail their results to the EPA. If water is unsafe, water suppliers must fix the issue and may shut down until the problem can be resolved. This helps ensure that municipal water is safe to drink.
That said, the EPA does not oversee well water. If you have a well, it is your responsibility to treat your water. Brenneco Plumbing can help!
What will happen if I drink unclean water?
Our bodies are 50% water, and putting polluted water into your body can negatively affect your health. Drinking unclean water can lead to:
- Gastrointestinal diseases that can lead to death
- Neurological issues
- High blood pressure
- Organ failure
- Other health issues
Unfortunately, 780 million people across the globe don’t have access to clean drinking water, which explains why disease and illness are so common in undeveloped countries.
How do I know if my water is safe to drink?
With so many potential health hazards, don’t assume your water is safe to drink. Take steps to make sure your family’s health is protected against water contaminants. You have two easy options:
- Contact a plumbing or water treatment company. At Brenneco Plumbing, we offer water testing services. Our experienced plumbers will thoroughly test your water and propose solutions if needed. Because the EPA does not regulate wells, this is the best option for those with wells and septic tanks.
- Request a CCR from your water supplier. If you receive water from a water supplier, you should receive a customer consumer report (CCR) annually. If you’ve misplaced yours or did not receive one, contact your water supplier and request another.
How can I protect my family from unclean water?
If you live in a city or town, your municipal government plays a big role in making sure your water is clean and safe to drink. However, with the help of experienced plumbers, you can make your water even safer.
For example, when was the last time your pipes were inspected? You municipal government is responsible for maintaining the pipes that transport water to your home, but you are responsible for maintaining the pipes on your property. If you live in an older home, your pipes may contain lead or other harmful substances or may crack and allow pollutants in. Whatever harmful substances are in your pipes will eventually make their way out of your faucet and into your drinking glass. Brenneco Plumbing can inspect your pipes and replace pipes that may pose threats to your family.
In addition to ensuring your pipes aren’t polluting your water, Brenneco Plumbing can install a water treatment system in your home. Many people assume that water filters just make their water taste better, but filters can remove many of the pollutants that your city does not. Your water will taste better, and you can feel good knowing that you’ve taken an extra step to protect yourself and your family.
If you have questions about clean drinking water or how you can make your water even safer, contact Brenneco Plumbing. We want you to enjoy your water and to feel safe drinking it!